In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Rockland Historical Society

Berry Block, Rockland, ca. 1875

Contributed by Rockland Historical Society
MMN Item 86782 Item Details
Berry Block, Rockland, ca. 1875
MMN Item 86782 Zoom

Description

This stereo view shows the large, three-story, brick Berry Block at 404-420 Main Street in Rockland, ca. 1875.

At the right edge of the building is Limerock Street and further down Main Street is the steeple of the First Baptist Church.

The first half of the Berry Block was constructed in 1853 following a major fire. One year later, in 1854, it was expanded to include 412-420.

The first floor contains Ephraim Barrett Dry Goods, Edward R. Spear Books and Stationery, a clothing store, and two telegraph offices.

The two-story, wooden building, partially visible on the left is the Spofford Block. It was rebuilt after the fire of 1853. It contains the millinery shop of Julia Freeman & Co. on the first floor.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.